Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:43 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

FRANK and ALL, The thing about opening the bow season for Deer so early in North and South Carolina, is that the unbearable heat still harbors Blowflies and Bacteria that can kill a Deer that has been wounded with an arrow, and lost, when it might have a half-azz chance of surviving after a good frost, which rarely ever happens down under until at least October 21----One out of every four years, we'll get a frost a little earlier.

MULE.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:06 PM
SS/Veteran

If by "blowfly" (maybe a southern name) you mean bluebottle flies in which I call flesh flies that are attracted by the smell of blood, they can be beneficial in a way. Yes, they will produce bacteria but the larvae or maggots as we call them only eat infected flesh. As the wound heals the infection is eaten out by the maggots. Of course the infection initially can be caused by anything dirty, from the arrow to rubbing on brush etc.

There are many stories way back to the Civil War where shot soldiers had to watch maggots eating the infected flesh or their wounds only to heal up as the humane body fought off wound.

Now as science has zoomed forward, some doctors use sterilized flies (don't ask me how they do that) to fight a chronic infected wound.

I know enough to just get me into trouble.

Point of interest I did use that procedure to cure a horse that had stepped on a pencil size three inch long wood stick straight into her hoof. Not a pleasant memory for me but it worked and no vet called. Years later now and she is still here.

Back at the ranch or back on subject now: Any wild animal that is injured, old or lame is subject to predators as a easy kill (meal) and most likely will not survive.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:59 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
If by "blowfly" (maybe a southern name) you mean bluebottle flies in which I call flesh flies that are attracted by the smell of blood, they can be beneficial in a way. Yes, they will produce bacteria but the larvae or maggots as we call them only eat infected flesh. As the wound heals the infection is eaten out by the maggots. Of course the infection initially can be caused by anything dirty, from the arrow to rubbing on brush etc.

There are many stories way back to the Civil War where shot soldiers had to watch maggots eating the infected flesh or their wounds only to heal up as the humane body fought off wound.

Now as science has zoomed forward, some doctors use sterilized flies (don't ask me how they do that) to fight a chronic infected wound.

I know enough to just get me into trouble.

Point of interest I did use that procedure to cure a horse that had stepped on a pencil size three inch long wood stick straight into her hoof. Not a pleasant memory for me but it worked and no vet called. Years later now and she is still here.

Back at the ranch or back on subject now: Any wild animal that is injured, old or lame is subject to predators as a easy kill (meal) and most likely will not survive.
You know what MERLIN, I've done some thinking about that, actually before you posted. You make some excellent points. So many things that we look at as disgusting, are actually helpful. The balance of nature, and it's ecological interconnections, is an amazing thing, that we can't even begin to understand, more than a small part of. Some people kill every big Wolf spider that they see, and don't realize that they may eat flees, mites, etc. My shop is full of Wolf spiders that I protect and move at times so the four dogs won't step on'em, and, not a flea on a single dog.
Your post and comments were excellent.

MULE.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

I cannot relate to anything in this thread. Disgusting behaviour, hunting in drives filling the sky with lead, hiding from other hunters so as to not get shot, blow flies and their maggots. Just not my world. I guess it is me ......
Old 09-13-2011, 06:44 PM
SS/Veteran

Wow! that is a harsh response! Here is something for you to feed on. Just learned they have a thing called circle drives. Of course I had to ask on the porch doing a social "what is a circle drive"?. The answer was a large group of hunters get in a line all equipped with two way radios and make a giant circle. When the circle closes to a tighter circle and when they see brown they cut loose with a hail of gunfire. The theory is someone will have a doe permit. I had to ask yet again "what happens to the guys on the other side of the circle with a crossfire"?. No answer came back and I guess they were out of range.

Another topic sprang up and that is robo deer decoys used by law enforcement to catch roadside illegal shootings of bucks.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:55 AM

for the very most part, it's "hunters" that screw up hunting for all to enjoy.

case in point, here's a coupla redneck idjit's on a "hog hunting trip" ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jHi4...eature=related
Old 09-14-2011, 03:36 PM

Very enjoyable, Bob. Again, hunting is not anything like that for us. Merlin hunts that way what with all the circle drives and all. YEEHAW! . . :
Old 09-14-2011, 08:04 PM
SS/Veteran

That's a fact but now that I am getting older running around and around firing shots into the air the deer usually die of old age before I close the circle. Last time I had to regroup and go and buy more ammo.

Whatever drugs you are on, I want some.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:12 AM

Not to spoil this with a true story, but when I was invited to the Catskills to a club they told me they delayed going out at the 7:00 AM opener so that the other private club next door would have time to drive their deer onto our club property. Of course the New York opening day sounds like Anzio beachhead but I wasn't on my stand ten minutes -- a place I had never seen before -- when along comes a doe and an 8 point right past. I had a 30-06. Like a bad dream, I shot at it three times before it went down. Walks over and the buggah had three holes in the shoulder/boiler room area.

It ended up the camp buck, the only one. Next season they passed a rule: no guests on Opening Day any more.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:48 PM
SS/Veteran

Thanks for the laugh...opening day in the Catskills does sound like the Anzio beachhead. Driving home that night or end of that week ..it seems like every other car has a deer on it's roof. Many with bucks that would make any hunter drool. I think many are from the private lands...
N.Y. state land is lean pickings in that area. By the way, what is very good in that area, and nobody does it, is ruffed grouse/partridge hunting. An October thing of course..before the invasion of deer hunters from the big city
Old 09-16-2011, 10:13 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfd View Post
for the very most part, it's "hunters" that screw up hunting for all to enjoy.

case in point, here's a coupla redneck idjit's on a "hog hunting trip" ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jHi4...eature=related
RFD I bet a local game warden would enjoy that video.

MULE.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. Sink View Post
RFD I bet a local game warden would enjoy that video.

MULE.
True, that is against the law but I think that ferel hogs or wild boar are kind of not respected as a game animal in most parts of the country so putting up a violation like the one in the video is not a huge turn off. Myself, I just don't care what the world does. We on the Internet have all these morality plays when in fact people do anything they want in the real world. Only a couple of flatlanders like Frank and Joyce would pay a grand apiece to shoot one. . . . .
Old 09-16-2011, 06:24 PM
SS/Veteran

Truth be told that any domestic stock (animal) when it goes wild is considered feral. This happens with pigs, cats, dogs. They do not come under wild game laws but to comment on video, riding around in a field pumping arrows into a pig gone wild is in poor taste, gives true hunters a bad name and gives PETA a step up. That pig maybe a boar (male un castrated) is a domestic pig that has gone wild. Given the color it's mommy or daddy was a Hampshire breed (note the white behind the neck). The Russian boars which as of 10 years ago were only in New Hampshire and Texas but in ten years no doubt that has changed. A domestic pig were to escape would go feral if survives the winter in three generations. I know more information then you want to know.

I have from around here heard that ex-wives and some husbands have been considered as going feral (little light hearted humor here and now).
Old 09-16-2011, 10:09 PM

[quote=Merlin;2358055]Just learned they have a thing called circle drives. Of course I had to ask on the porch doing a social "what is a circle drive"?. The answer was a large group of hunters get in a line all equipped with two way radios and make a giant circle. When the circle closes to a tighter circle and when they see brown they cut loose with a hail of gunfire.
quote]

Circles drives have nothing on what most hunters do down here in the South, y'all.
(As Frank knows, I hunt from a portable climbing treestand.)

South of the Mason/Dixon Line, they equip the hunting dogs with radio collars. Inside their nice, warm, cozy vehicles, they have radio receivers/GPS devices which similar to something on a submarine.
They turn the dogs loose with the radio collars "beeping" on their receivers, then drive their vehicles to the road where the deer will cross.

You talk about a "hail of gunfire"!!!
Old 09-17-2011, 04:01 PM

Using dogs to run deer is apparently legal in the south. I watched a video on TV where they run hogs with dogs as well. Again, I don't care what others do. My wife and I just hunt the way it is done locally. We do a lot of sitting on ground stands, do not climb, and sort out how and where the deer move most. To me the most important thing is shooting well. People miss a lot. If you get all that you shoot at, you should eat bambi-burger all year .