Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:38 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

And another sidebar for your entertainment on this rainy Sunday: I have a friend that is raising a pig for me for the freezer in which a another friend is spliting with me that he named Rambo. We were thinking about a berat for him but settled on a hankerchief band, super glue works. He is a character but does have an appointment at the slaughter house on the 27th of July. I told him not to make any plans for Thanksgiving or Christmas but I will invite in for dinner.

Laughter erupted from the crowd gathered and they say old guys are not given charm?
Old 06-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Joyce and I hunt a place whre you have to ford a stream to get in. For this we bought Muck Boots a few years ago. We also use them for dewey meadows in spring and rainy days. After five years our "Mucks" are still holding up real well. But we like them so much that we bought second pairs, these rated for -40. We love them and would recommend them to anyone who is around cold water. Ours cost $110 per. We are not farmers and didn't know that the verb "mucking" is shoveling out the barn. We thought mucking was swamp mud slopping.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:30 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I just saw that the Mass Board voted to liberalize the muzzleloader gun law for big game to allow "break open" muzzleloading rifles this coming deer season and beyond. In line with other local states, this will now permit the use of any rifle or shotgun loaded from the muzzle.
Frank is that law written now and where can I read it. I did a search with GOAL and at Ma website but nothing there as of yet. I would like to be positive of it before I go shoping.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:20 PM

We first saw the notice on legalizing break-open muzzleloaders at the Gun Room at BassPro in Foxboro. It was passed sometime in late April. Searching around, I found the same notice at GOAL site. I don't know why Mass Fish and Game has not made a formal announcement, except that they are slow and usually late on announcements. I don't blame you for being careful.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:30 PM
SS/Veteran

Frank--(note I am not calling you Francis), I received an email from Mass wild life saying what you have reported; that break open blackpowder rifles are now official. Sorry, I doubted you thinking you might have been blowing bubbles through your soda straw.

Time for Ma to get up to speed I guess.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:17 AM

Yes, I just got my notice from the Division also. This allows my H&R which is a very nice shooting, flat shooting, piece that I use in RI and CT. I don't know if Mass will ever be up to speed, but I hear ya.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Frank I am going shopping for a certain break open piece (Gun talk for another gun) that I have no problem with hunting shotgun season with. Hard to beat 1" m.o.a. with a shotgun.

Being a Massachusetts LTC holder does not amount to spit as I travel to another state (NH) and they have to ship down here to a FFL dealer. Beat the sales tax and pay for a transfer.

Maybe go to Florida and buy one at a yard sale. All I have to have is a pulse.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:35 AM
Senior Fellow, SS/Platinum, SS/Insider, Team SS

Frank, here's a video you'll enjoy.

Black bear joins hunter in treestand

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cdc_1313712832

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Education does not guarantee intelligence.

Prepare for the worst and you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:52 PM

Great video, Neverrude. One time sitting on a blowdown, I had a fisher walk the length of the blowdown to within three feet of me. Once he was too close I spooked him and he ran off the same way. But a fisher ain't no bear.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Senior Fellow, SS/Platinum, SS/Insider, Team SS

Here's another one and in this one the bear climbs the tree twice and takes a swipe at the hunters leg....

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7a7_1313763532

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Education does not guarantee intelligence.

Prepare for the worst and you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:13 PM

Enterataining. Joyce and I both watched it.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:32 PM
SS/Veteran

It's videos like that that help one want to stick with only fishing.

The one video he must have put peanut butter or something on the branches below him..the bear was licking the branches. Talk about looking for trouble
Old 08-22-2011, 03:17 PM

With all the new technologies people are doing new stuff like camara hunting. I have no problem in knowing a person is baiting with peanut butter just to take pictures. Not sure about fearing bears as I don't have much experience with them. Only saw one once deer hunting with a 30-06. I let it walk because I would have needed a back hoe to get it down the mountain. It was New York and I had a tag in my pocket. There are increasingly more bear human encounters. Jersey, Maine, Michigan recent years. Of course if I knew one was coming at me with some sort of intent, I would dump the clip; so would you!
Old 08-22-2011, 04:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Black bears encounters are no big deal unless you get between Momma and her babies which is when you beat feet to the rear.

Nornal encounter just put on your battle face, raise your arms and give your battle cry. Biggest fear you will have is if they run in front of your cars while you are winging your way down the road.

Brown bears it is best to put your head between your knees and kiss your azz goodbye! Brown bears are not yet in the northeast so sleep well this night.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:55 PM

Yes, Merl, the brown bears are the known bad ones. But recent years there have been numerous encounters with black bears that have gone bad. I think they just had one in Jersey recently.

I just wonder if black bears are decent eating. Some say they are great but others say they are not.