Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Surfcasting in the Daytime

Surfcasting in the day light is a legitimate thing on Long Island particularly in Montauk in the fall

I wish I knew exactly why

Many accomplished Surfcasters recognize it as a day bite which rivals or exceeds the night bite at times

The baits usually involve bay anchovy, juvenile menhaden, sand eels or Herring late in the year.

I can put my hand on a bible and swear that, at times, the feed does not get going until false dawn or later, and sometimes shuts down completely when the sun sets. And we?ve fished countless times after dark hoping it would continue

That phenomenon is probably a thread unto itself

I’ve long said this does more for fall visits than anything a chamber of commerce can dream up

Tourists and casual fishermen love it
Old 10-19-2017, 07:46 PM
SS/Veteran

Seems like sometimes it shuts off just after dark, and then picks up again after total darkness has settled in for a couple hours. Don't know if it's just coincidence, a bait/tide/solunar table thing or what. I wonder if it takes the fish a little time to acclimate to the changing light before they feel completely safe in the shallows. Then again, people have seen large bass in shallows in broad daylight...
Old 10-19-2017, 10:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_P View Post
Surfcasting in the day light is a legitimate thing on Long Island particularly in Montauk in the fall

I wish I knew exactly why

Many accomplished Surfcasters recognize it as a day bite which rivals or exceeds the night bite at times

The baits usually involve bay anchovy, juvenile menhaden, sand eels or Herring late in the year.

I can put my hand on a bible and swear that, at times, the feed does not get going until false dawn or later, and sometimes shuts down completely when the sun sets. And we?ve fished countless times after dark hoping it would continue

That phenomenon is probably a thread unto itself

I?ve long said this does more for fall visits than anything a chamber of commerce can dream up

Tourists and casual fishermen love it

I agree... I don't want to agree. I want to be saying fishing is best at night. I know it should be.. I do best at dawn and dusk... But I fished 2am till sunup only to have fish at the break of dawn... then shut down.. happens to me all the time. Maybe fish at sundown than nothing and as SALMONMEISTER says..it might pick up again an hour or so later.. Had that happen but sometimes I leave only to hear it picked after I left...two hours after I left the beach.. I can't stay forever...Montauk on the rocks might be different.. On the beaches.. I'll stick to dawn and dusk..an hour or two in and over..... My current frame of mind is just fish and not worry.. When the fish are heavy I'll go to the night again.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:32 PM

This is all good copy for a discussion. I concede that you can have good day fishing. But inasmuch as you cannot do both, take the night. When I lived on the Cape with a bunch of hungries fishing for money everybody came out for the night at sunset and fished until dawn or when they got tired. We never forgot that being up all night is an unnatural act. Day or night, if the fishing stinks go back to bed.

I have done very little sport fishing in the striper surf. Sport fishing was/is trout and salmon. My striper background was for SALE of stripers, which is a more compelling activity and worth killing yourself for. OTS, I have done well trout fishing after dark, which is as effective as when done for stripers. Atlantic salmon,where legal, also bite better at night; nobody does it, some because they don't know and others behave liker some effete milquetoast because they are gentlemen.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:25 PM

My background was never sale but for most of the last 30 years or so my objective was the most large fish I could catch

I can recall many many discussions with others as to how much energy we were going to burn on the day versus the night bite. Sometimes there was no night bite but we all knew it would eventually flip back to a night bite for the larger fish.

Decisions on day versus night was always a fall thing. Night was always better the rest of the year. Most cases day fishing was non existent. At least from surf.

I’ve never had a fish over 40 in the daylight, but I’ve seen plenty during the fall. To be fair day bites tended to be small to medium sized fish to about 25 lbs

Almost all of these cases were triggered by arge concentrations of mullet, bay anchovy, juvenile menhaden or large sand eels on the move but pinned to the beach, inside a bar, or in a cove.

I can’t tell you how many wonderful days of fly casting under such conditions and watching fish grab the fly. In some cases it was too good for fishing, I got the camera out for photos or videos.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:56 PM

John, I don't want to bite you because I value your contributions here, but all surfcasting for stripers is a night thing all year, every year, everywhere I have ever surfcasted. Even in boats rod and reel commercials fish at night. Now if you are a pleasure angler putting ink on the paper for a nice day in the sun to boost your skin cancer while the bimbo you met in some gin mill mixes your cocktails, then day fishing is advised
Old 10-22-2017, 11:41 AM
SS/Veteran

tons of shad on my teaser but no fish!!!!! I got there after the sun came up.. Tons of big bait in close.. no fish! I tired to let a shad run around -(bail open) hoping a big bass would see him looking slightly wounded... but nada... .. Which tide is best? In coming brings fish and bait??? outgoing sends the bait out the inlet to the fish?? All good since it moves.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:28 PM
SS/Veteran

If you fish at night you can pee right where you are fishing and no one can see. During the day you have to be careful or hold it.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:44 AM

Andrew, wait until your prostrate enlarges as it does with 80 percent of men and you will pee every six minutes. But that still is not why I prefer fishing at night. You can catch in the day but it is not as good.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
John, I don't want to bite you because I value your contributions here, but all surfcasting for stripers is a night thing all year, every year, everywhere I have ever surfcasted. Even in boats rod and reel commercials fish at night. Now if you are a pleasure angler putting ink on the paper for a nice day in the sun to boost your skin cancer while the bimbo you met in some gin mill mixes your cocktails, then day fishing is advised
Frank bite away. This is just sharing ideas and observations.

So many instances where we had them in the Morning or late afternoon and I thought I'd just fish the same tides in the dark and do even better. Years and years of log entries on just these specific types of bites.

I'd still say 90+ pct of my surfcasting is in the dark, and many times we pack it in at first light, but there are these cases when I do believe Day is better than night. And that would include the first hour or last hour of light.

When it does happen, Always mid to late fall, always when bait is moving per migration.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:10 AM

The daylight surf is excellent for schoolies on the Vineyard, particularly in spring and autumn, but nighttime is always best for bruisers.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:50 PM

I guess this brings up another highly related topic.
Cow hunting.
If that’s the only objective ...For me this suggests a limited number of locations and techniques

(Like fish rigged eels more and never fly fish )
Old 10-24-2017, 04:30 PM

I don't quite agree. Your post implies that cows are not caught fly fishing. Or that all fly fishing is done during the day. I never fly fish during the day but I have found them at night and kept catching until daybreak.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
I don't quite agree. Your post implies that cows are not caught fly fishing. Or that all fly fishing is done during the day. I never fly fish during the day but I have found them at night and kept catching until daybreak.
I agree Cows are caught on fly, but I just don't see fly fishermen able to catch cows in anything remotely close to the same numbers let alone compete in contests or anything. But I still prefer fly often enough.

I further agree that at least 90% of the year by me it's strictly a night game.

But I wish I had the opportunity to show you Montauk over the last couple days. And we'd fish the day bite and then stay at night as long as we could.

(Please nobody here cut this and distribute without permission)
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2017, 08:57 AM
SS/Veteran

I'm becoming a master at plugging little rats... Not finding much joy in it.. ( well it beats . work or the honey do list)
Frustrated as hell.. i'm going to seek professional advice and start drinking more.. Although the wife thinks I have been trying that for years... So I guess night it has to be..