Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:40 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Bad Boys; news flash

BUZZARDS BAY - State Environmental Police seized more than 330 pounds of illegally caught striped bass from five Cape Cod Canal fisherman Thursday. All five were given criminal summons to appear in court for violating the recreational fishing limits, the Cape Cod Times reported.

Environmental Police Maj. Patrick Moran said authorities have received many complaints about overfishing, but with perhaps thousands of people fishing and too few police to enforce state laws, only some fishermen are checked.

"We are shorthanded," Moran told the Times. "It's strictly a matter of manpower."

According to state law, each fisherman is allowed a daily take of one striped bass of at least 28 inches in length.

One of the charged fishermen had 16 pounds of filleted fish in his possession. Moran said recreational fishermen are required to take their fish home before processing.

The fillets had to be destroyed as unsuitable for human consumption, but the remaining fish were donated to the New Bedford-area Salvation Army.

He or they must have taken a course in flaying fish in the dunes.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Bad Boys; news flash

"He or they must have taken a course in flaying fish in the dunes."

I saw it in the newspapers. Wish I could say it was fake news. I really wish there was something that I could say. There are so many regulations; so much contempt on the part of the public over regulations.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:52 PM

The promulgation of regulations enhances the possibility of violations. When I started striper fishing 70 years ago (back when stripers didn't bite at night) there was one regulation -- 16 inches and few bass that small came north. Today, there are so many different regs that some don't know them, others don't care and still others don't have any regard for any regs -- drinking, drugs, crime. People haven't changed. Rather, government militancy over management has increased.

Did you see in the original post that Environmental Officer Moran said, ""It's strictly a matter of manpower." Here we go, the very thing I pointed out in another thread -- more manpower. That will justify more sergeants, lieutenants and Captains, accountants for payroll, a headquarters with a janitor. They won't be able to meet payroll with those small SW license fees so you, patient reader, will have to pay more to satisfy the mandates of sound conservation practice. No doubt someone out there feels we should shoot those bad canal guys.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:25 PM
SS/Veteran

I think every fisherman hedges a bit on the rules that could be called cheating, but when you get greedy and cross the line and get caught--look out. You might get away with it but you will have to make an attorney wealthy.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:26 AM

What are they going to do with all that fish? They can't sell them. ONE 20 pound bass yields 14 meals +/-. If they keep another one tomorrow they get another 14. You have to assume they fish regularly -- bass cakes, fried bass, boiled bass
Old 08-29-2017, 08:12 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

They do sell them illegally. There've been pinhookers in the NY area forever, and regs don't stop them, merely causes them to change tactics. Walk through Chinatown and see what's in the fish markets tanks and cases and ask yourself if all those were obtained legally.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:16 AM
SS/Veteran

In MA you can sell 15 fish per day a few days a week as long as the season is open. But only if you have a boat (that is a new regulation). What these guys are doing is keeping the fish on ice until they can sell them, and pretending they were boat caught. Either that or just selling on the black market. The canal has apparently been a gold mine for the past few weeks -- 20+ lbers every cast and a high price for bass at the market.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:39 AM

None of that surprised me, Andrew. Selling of bass went on all during the moratorium 30 years ago. They were shipping fish from Block Island; Cape regulars were selling locally at reduced prices. As usual, there has always been two worlds: the regulated world and the underground. This whole thing is such a joke because the people who promulgated all this highly regulated management scenario never knew themselves that it was unworkable.

Take the one fish limit: does anyone realize that when an angler kills a bass he has to quit fishing? I know that deer hunting where there is a one deer limit, you have to unload your firearm and leave the woods. Nobody is doing that in striper fishing. They say they are doing catch and release but what if you are planning a release and you have a bleeder with trebles in his gills? The regulators don't address this; the conforming angler does not either. I am aware that my views might be unpopular because Mister Smarty is saying things nobody wants to hear.

Merlin has it right, "I think every fisherman hedges a bit on the rules that could be called cheating ...."
Old 08-30-2017, 04:28 PM

I thought this would be a smoker of a thread. Surprised there is so little interest and posting.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:49 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
I thought this would be a smoker of a thread. Surprised there is so little interest and posting.
Between 2007-2011, 4 poachers in the Chesapeake took 92 TONS of striper illegally!!! As bad as the guys at the top of this thread were (and I'm sure there's more than a few like them), they barely get "honorable mention" in comparison.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:59 AM

If sport fishermen killed everything they caught -- no limits, they could not kill 92 tons of bass.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:25 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
If sport fishermen killed everything they caught -- no limits, they could not kill 92 tons of bass.
Not sure if they used nets... or longlines maybe? You'd have to do some Googling for the details...
Old 09-02-2017, 12:32 PM

One thing that is keeping stripers stocks from collapsing again is the 3 mile limit enforced by the feds, they don't mess around with fines, they take your boat.

Mark C
Old 09-02-2017, 03:54 PM

If you study law enforcement, and I have when I was in college 40 years ago, laws have to be popular to work. If, when, people do not approve of a regulation conformity is fleeting. You see it all the time in every aspect of a our society -- smoking pot, speeding, DUIs, game laws --if people don't believe in something they disregard it. Even enforcement people break the rules; fishing and hunting, and you have to know I have a lifetime of it, conservation officers do anything they want.

What surprises me in this thread is that we don't have more outcry from the holy forum calling for lynchings; I kind of expected it when Merlin put it up. One more point and I'll let yuz get back to your Labor Day picnic: Keep in mind that the people who cause a problem are the only viable solution. N'est pas?
Old 09-20-2017, 04:15 PM

These Jesse James bandits who emptied the Canal of stripers a few weeks back are so important that there was nothing in the papers about the violation.