Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:09 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Scared Of the Dark ....

I think afraid of the dark is a factor but afraid of the two legged predictors that hid in the dark is the real fear.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:04 PM
SS/Veteran

I can think of a couple of situations where I am afraid: striper fishing in the downtown Providence River is good and better at night. Want to creep around the docks in a big city at night?

I was raised with a kennel of hunting dogs. People take my wife and I bird hunting with dogs. We love dogs but we are also afraid of loose dogs because all dogs are not the same and we don't know which dogs are aggressive. In a way you can understand why some people are ascared of the dark.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:56 PM

I?ve always found it peaceful in the dark

I did find it creepy wetsuiting the south side of block island. Out there on a rock at night you do feel like you are in the middle of the ocean

I?ve been known to take lightning very seriously and left the open beach when others decided to stay out and play the odds

I’m also not as keen to fish jetties in the dark. At least not the crazy dangerous ones
Old 10-19-2017, 11:42 AM
SS/Veteran

There are many situations where it is wise to carry a weapon. A gun can get too complicated what with a permit and investigation protocols defined by law. But a pocket knife, mace or pepper spray can protect you. In my area people walk with golf clubs, big sticks or baseball bats, even in daylight.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:53 PM

I got caught out at the False Hook one night, as a very thick fog sneaked in behind me. The night had been moonless to begin with. I had my truck back at North Beach, about a mile away. Tried walking the surf edge for a while but the fog never gave me a hint when to turn east. So I just turned east anyway and pushed on until I ran into dune grass, eventually finding my way back. So concentrated was my eyesight at exactly where my footfall was going that a rabbit sitting right on the path bolted just as I was about to catch sight of him. Close to pooped in waders moment.
Luckily for me I'm not afraid of the dark at all, unless there are monsters around !
Old 01-20-2018, 04:07 PM
SS/Veteran

I find that city guys are commonly afraid of the dark.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:16 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Ever noticed how some guys act fishing at night? I can spot fear of darkness a mile away. Its a generalization but I think city guys are more ascared than sheetkickers like me. Got any night fear stories?
Quote:
I find that city guys are commonly afraid of the dark.
Mr. D with that little white butt of yours ( after the sun went down ) you would not have lasted 8 minutes in the South Bronx or Harlem where I grew up & went to school.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I think afraid of the dark is a factor but afraid of the two legged predictors that hid in the dark is the real fear.
X2. It's the living 2 leg animals you have to watch out for.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:35 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post
Mr. D with that little white butt of yours ( after the sun went down ) you would not have lasted 8 minutes in the South Bronx or Harlem where I grew up & went to school.
Why am I different than anybody else?
Old 01-21-2018, 05:32 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Why am I different than anybody else?
can't recall any sheetkickers walking the dark streets of Gotham
Old 01-22-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
can't recall any sheetkickers walking the dark streets of Gotham
One of the reasons "City Guys" are possibly more afraid of the dark, is that we are city guys and have lights all around us, all night. I remember as a scout going out on my first real camping trip. I wake up at some point and have to pee and need to wait a few minutes for my night vision to adjust. Suddenly I can see like it's almost dawn. Problem is that the boogeyman can see too.

BTW Hook 1, if you grew up in the South Bronx and Harlem there are probably some times or places we crisscrossed. I grew up in Inwood / Washington Heights and played both basketball and baseball for the local CYO, much of it in Manhattan and the Bronx.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:31 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG@Breezy View Post
One of the reasons "City Guys" are possibly more afraid of the dark, is that we are city guys and have lights all around us, all night. I remember as a scout going out on my first real camping trip. I wake up at some point and have to pee and need to wait a few minutes for my night vision to adjust. Suddenly I can see like it's almost dawn. Problem is that the boogeyman can see too.

BTW Hook 1, if you grew up in the South Bronx and Harlem there are probably some times or places we crisscrossed. I grew up in Inwood / Washington Heights and played both basketball and baseball for the local CYO, much of it in Manhattan and the Bronx.
Joe maybe we did , during the winter months the basketball court was a fun place to go & hang out . Even though we were from the same city , the next parish seemed like we were playing foreigners .

some of the Sheetkickers would not know growing up in the city , when the streetlights came on it was time to go home , not afraid of the dark but afraid of the mother being later for supper .
Old 01-23-2018, 02:08 PM
SS/Veteran

I grew up in a nice suburb neighborhood. I was part of a gang -- about five of us -- that used to do everything: we loved setting up a dummy so that traffic would stop to see why the man was down. One time a woman got pissed and took our dummy so we followed her on our bikes, saw her drive into her garage and stole it back when she went into the house. Her name was Alice and she always referred to us as the little pr*ks of the North End.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Joe maybe we did , during the winter months the basketball court was a fun place to go & hang out . Even though we were from the same city , the next parish seemed like we were playing foreigners .

some of the Sheetkickers would not know growing up in the city , when the streetlights came on it was time to go home , not afraid of the dark but afraid of the mother being later for supper .
Bingo on the parish. We wouldn't be caught dead in St Judes or Queen of Martyrs unless we were playing them, or unless some cutie we met at a dance lived there.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:46 PM

[quote=Francis Daignault;2432268]I grew up in a nice suburb neighborhood. I was part of a gang -- about five of us -- that used to do everything: we loved setting up a dummy so that traffic would stop to see why the man was down. One time a woman got pissed and took our dummy so we followed her on our bikes, saw her drive into her garage and stole it back when she went into the house. Hed
I'm amazed that you guys grew up to be responsible citizens with all that crime in your past. In Inwood a gang was 30 + and did not include the goils, but that's the city. Three of my closest friends lived downstairs from me in the walkup and another 5 in the immediately adjacent buildings. Pulling a baseball game together was knocking on about 20 doors in 15 minutes. Different world.