Home

Grip Studs - High Performance Boot Studs 
     HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New York

Fishing - New York The Empire State Fishing Reports and Information

Old 09-21-2011, 09:01 AM

Default Savage Bite Tuesday Sept. 20

Tuesday Sept. 20: Winds S/SW-15. Water: PERFECT: I don?t even know where to begin?so I?ll start at the beginning. I woke up at 7 a.m. knowing I have no water on these beaches at low tide anymore, ate breakfast and hit the beach for the start of the incoming and got the beach around 8:15. Winds were south at 15...perfect?you always want to be on these beaches from Jones to the Rockaways on the first day of south after prolonged winds of other directions. Started launching large Polaris poppers on the back side of the bar back between the jetties?.a ridiculously long cast. I saw fish launching on mullet and had to do it. Hit the white water and a 15 pounder shot into the air like a missile and knocked my popper up 5 foot with it. Kept casting and kept raising fish and hooked quite a few as well. All quality fish! Landed enough and raised an amazing number of fish.

Water started to spill over the bar and the fish and mullet came in with the wind and building white water. I proceeded to have a day you only dream about. Most fish were 24 to 30 inches with an incredible amount of fish 33 to almost 40 inches at times. They were in the wash and 90% of the action was on the east side of the jetties. I caught them on small metal lips or large Polaris poppers. They were in the wash, tip of the jetty or the white water on the bar and were chewing the barnacles off the jetty rocks.

After a couple of hours of this I called in friend and fellow surfcaster Dave W. of Valley Stream who I knew would be rained out of work and he arrived in western A/B to find nothing so I called him down to where I was and he showed up and caught fish with me. If I had commercial tags and could keep bass 24 to 36 inches I could have filled 50 tags yesterday easily and if I caught the fish I raised or missed I would have had a 100 fish yesterday. The first two bluefish showed up as well of 2 and 7 pounds for Dave.

The winds turned more westerly as the second front came in around 2 p.m. and I knew we would lose the bite then as it was coming with the high slack. The fishing started to slow down and as the winds dropped out and the tide slacked at high I walked of the beach at 3:20 exhausted and sore! I am positive if the winds had stayed south or SW at the same velocity we had been fishing at they would have bit through the slack and into dark and I was prepared to stay.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:33 AM
SS / Curmudgeon

Default Re: Savage Bite Tuesday Sept. 20

that now becomes the second best surf report I've read in years (still giving blaze the first best because he beat you to it over in the NJ reports *LOL*)!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:30 PM

I had Sunday and yesterday...I could quit for the seaons today and be happy...but I won't Im sure ther will plenty of lifeless days in the suds ahead...plus I ain't driving to NJ for surf fishing that's for sure
Old 09-21-2011, 06:51 PM
Administrator

You don't like Jersey Fish?

Old 09-21-2011, 07:14 PM

If you lived where I live you wouldn't drive to Montauk...nevermind Jerseee!! hahahaha
Old 09-23-2011, 12:20 PM
SS / Curmudgeon

One day I'll make it out to Montauk, but like Yogi said on why he no longer went to Ruggeri's, a St. Louis restaurant: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."[23]

Old 04-04-2012, 08:47 AM

Where are they now rich??????
Old 05-12-2012, 05:03 PM

How's ft Tilden and gateway area so far
Old 08-07-2012, 02:00 PM

Nice!