View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Buying my first "real" surf reel & rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
Don't sell that diawa 4000C short. If that was maintained you have a good reel there....
No, I understand. Its in good working condition though has some surface pitting. I put it on the TICA and its a little bigger / heavier than I wanted. Plus, I'm getting about 1/3 the casting distance or less than with 2 other borrowed reels I tried.

I'm keeping it for use on the 7' wally world rod that I still have (the reel fell apart.). I figure this will be good for sharing / loaning and using while I work on the tan. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post

use 30lb braid spinning for stripers, not 20
Rob, thats how I think i'll go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon006 View Post
Are the stradic 5000 and cabo 40 enough? It depends. Many consider only the size of the fish they will be catching and not what they are throwing and how heavy they will be throwing. The size and weight of your offering will determine how much stress the reel will receive cast after cast.
I am new to saltwater lures (though I've been collecting a few lately as well) but I figure I'll be using a few various metal lures like ava, hopkins, and deadly dick in the 1-3 oz range. The plugs I have dont seem very heavy. 1oz maybe? I'll save that for another thread.

Quote:
...Tica plus cabo 40 and 30# braid sound good? Could tell you yes and you could hate it. All depends on what your looking to do with it. If you gave me that combo I would toss eels. Without knowing what action of the rod is hard to say if it would plug well.
the rod is 9' Tica TC2 rated 2-6 ounce rated medium heavy.

Admittedly, there may be better rods, but I considered 3 things when getting it. one, it was $40 used and in mint condition. two, it seems like it covers a wide middle ground (9', 2-6oz, med heavy) , leaving me room to specialize someday into something else as I learn more. third, I used it on the surf a little casting some 2 oz metal a couple weeks ago, and while I caught nada, its feels SO far superior to any rod I've used that one being better may not even be noticed by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Good points Jon, I assumed "normal" plugging on the beach with 1-3 oz,...

That said, get some more "plugs" in particular get some storm shads, pearl color, or equivalent in 4-6" size for Lavalette.

Also get a popper (pencil and/or regular) for when bunker are in
I'll do that, thanks.

I snagged a bag full of stuff at Sports Authority last week for $21 after tax! It was all clearance 75%-off. I dont recall the names, but I'll post another thread along the lines of "here's what I have, what else should I get".

Quote:
My buddy replaced his white stradic 5000 with a cabo 50. So far so good from his prespective....
the cabo 50 is a pretty large step up in size and wight, jsut like the stradic 6000 is a big jump from the 5000. I'd like to avoid a huge reel unless I hear its really necessary.

Quote:
In that price range the tsunami is mich much much more rod for the money (I've owned both, my TC2 sits idle in my garage waiting for re-wrapping of guides).
I hear the dolphin or the tsunami are better deals. However, they'd be more than twice what I paid for this. I'll see how the TC2 works out. I figure its better than the wally-world rods, right? So far I am pleased with it.

Quote:
...Thats about all the good imput I have. All of which are is highly subjective and solely a matter of my own personal experience. Your results/opinion may vary.
that's exactly what I am looking for (that and the discussion that follows)

thanks guys, I appreciate it.