View Single Post
Old 01-20-2006, 11:00 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Al Bentsen: Your Googan Days?

It seems strange to read about guys just starting out fishing as adults here in the NE.

I started out going Carp and Catfishing with my neighbor and older brothers when I was about 8 or 9 years old. Mostly I'd get bored sitting there waiting for a bite and would go exploring while they would stay watching the poles. I really got into Largemouth Bass fishing when I was about 12 years old and got really good especially fishing for them with live nightcrawlers.
I used to go out at nights when the ground was wet and collect nightcrawlers with a flashlight. I'd stick them in big coffee cans and put them into boxes with newspaper on the bottom and dirt above that. They'd stay alive for weeks that way. I'd fish them kind of like the way Frank recommends fishing live eels- with a single hook on the end of the line and hooking the worm thru the head.
Our house was situated between a nice lake that had Largemouth Bass and sunfish and the Missouri River which had several kinds of Catfish, Carp and freshwater Drum. Each water system was about a mile away from my house. In addition there were sandpits and ponds along the river that held fish also.
All I'd do during my summer vacations was go fishing- kind of like the Huck Finn/Tom Sawyer stories.