View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 02:24 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Did you ever consider being an editor?

Other occupations, like editing, do not pay as well as teaching. Remember, I was in the top step and was given an additional stipend for having a Masters Degree and I had the summers off where I could pursue commercial striper fishing and gather material for writing. I had also begun gun/hunting writing for a while but I had so much fishing writing, had so much of a reputation in angling that I backed off the gun world submissions. I was only a full time writer after I retired from teaching. Even then, my pension helped it to work and my wife stayed in teaching while I was screwing around in the woods and beaches. Remember also, that while all this stuff was going on I was getting older, getting to the point where I was taking the beans out of the jar. Unless you are a best selling author -- Tom Clancy, Steven King -- writing alone is no big deal. My old editor, Frank Woolner, who mentored me though the mine fields of life for many years, once told me stay in my day job where I had benefits, union protection, and the time to fish and hunt. Stay married and don't borrow money and you will have it knocked.